The Producers Club of Maryland, Inc., the organizing entity of the Maryland Film Festival, was launched as a 501(c)(3) corporation in 1993 at a special pre-release screening of SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE attended by Nora Ephron and some of the film’s Maryland cast and crew. It has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars to support the economic development work of the Maryland Film Office and Baltimore Division of Film, Video, and Television, and assists their work in numerous other ways.
The Producers Club owns the Maryland Regional Production Guide (www.mdrpg.com), the only comprehensive “yellow pages” for film, television and commercial production in the region. In addition to the website, the Guide is distributed throughout the year by the Maryland Film Office.
The largest single activity of the Producers Club is the annual Maryland Film Festival, and the Friends of the Festival year-round screening events. Each year scores of filmmakers are brought to Baltimore and get to sample the community as a place for future production.
The Maryland Film Festival funds and administers the Maryland Filmmakers Fellowship each year in partnership with Sundance Labs. Winners are selected by a panel of Maryland citizens who support the work of the Maryland Film Festival, but none of whom are associated with the film industry. Typically first money in, grants are given to help with pre-production and come with no obligation other than the money be used to move toward production, acknowledge the Fellowship in end title credits, and screen the film in Maryland before it goes in to the marketplace.
Winners of the Maryland Filmmakers Fellowship:
(Titles with asterisks have been completed)
- 2016 Frances Bodomo for AFRONAUTS and Eva Vives for NINA
- 2015 Olivia Newman for FIRST MATCH and Brent Green for OVER THE EAVES
- 2014 Karrie Crouse and Will Joines for DUST and Jeremiah Zagar, Dan Kitrosser, and Jeremy Yaches for WE THE ANIMALS
- 2013 Ian Hendrie and Jyson McLean for MERCY ROAD
Maryland Selection Committee: Vanessa Coe, Lynn Deering, Lynn Rauch
- 2012 Marielle Heller for DIARY OF A TEENAGE GIRL *
and Jody Lee Lipes for CONFEDERACY
Maryland Selection Committee: Lynn Deering, Tad Glenn, Richard Konigsberg, Joanne Rosen, Katherine Vaughns
- 2011 Sara Colangelo for LITTLE ACCIDENTS *
Maryland Selection Committee: Caroline Lynch, Steven Schwartzman, Katherine Vaughns
- 2010 Sydney Freeland for DRUNKTOWN’S FINEST *
Maryland Selection Committee: Lynn Deering, Suzan Garabedian, Caroline Lynch
- 2009– Andrew Okpeaha MacLean for ON THE ICE *
Maryland Selection Committee: Lynn Deering, Tad Glenn, Caroline Lynch, Andrew Schuleman, Steven Schwartzman, Katherine Vaughns
- 2008 Liza Johnson for RETURN *
Maryland Selection Committee: Sue Cohen, Lynn Deering, Jonna Lazarus, Caroline Lynch, Tad Glenn, Steven Schwartzman, Katherine Vaughns
- 2007 John Morgan and Megan LeFauve for THE CAVANAUGHS
Maryland Selection Committee: Lynn Deering, Jonna Lazarus, Caroline Lynch, Katherine Vaughns,
- 2006 Tanya Hamilton for NIGHT CATCHES US (aka STRINGBEAN AND MARCUS) *
and Victoria Mahoney for YELLING TO THE SKY *
Maryland selection committee: Lynn Deering, Richard Konigsberg, Carolyn Lynch, Katherine Vaughns
- 2005 Darci and Andrew Dosunmu for MOTHER OF GEORGE *
Maryland selection committee: Lynn Deering, Richard Konigsberg, Carolyn Lynch, Paula Rome, Katherine Vaughns
- 2004 Richard Press for VIRTUAL LOVE *
Maryland selection committee: Jim Dale, Lynn Deering, Richard Konigsberg, Carolyn Lynch, Paula Rome, Katherine Vaughns
- 2003 Caran Hartsfield for BURY ME STANDING
- 2002 Doug Sadler for SWIMMERS *
- 2001 Jacob and Josh Kornbluth for THE BEST THIEF IN THE WORLD *
and Tatia Rosenthal and Etgar Keret for $9.99 *
- 2000 Michael Burke for THE MUDGE BOY *
- 1999 Rodrigo García for THINGS YOU CAN TELL JUST BY LOOKING AT HER *
- 1998 Kirby Dick for BEYOND THE PLEASURE PRINCIPLE
- 1997 DeMane Davis and Khari Streeter for LIFT *
To support the work of the Producers Club, join the Friends of MdFF at the highest level you can afford.